Visiting birders generally don’t pay much attention to the humble Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis). But the observant birder will notice that the subspecies found here – poggei – has a pale eye and has been mooted as a potential future ‘split’. Whatever its taxonomic status, the Little Grebe is a charismatic bird and, in the parks of Beijing, can be relatively confiding. Visiting birders who care about their lists will be wise to take note for ‘insurance’….!
Search Birding Beijing
- RT @birdingfrontier: HSBC: please stop your role in the destruction of rainforests in Borneo @hsbc_uk_press. Sign the petition: http://t.co… 1 day ago
- Packing for Inner Mongolia to participate in the JANKOWSKI'S BUNTING survey.. watch this space! #CriticallyEndangered 2 days ago
- 14 BAER'S POCHARDS yesterday at the breeding site in Hebei Province. Here is a pic of 3 of them with a Fudge Duck. http://t.co/k6lF2Fdmcf 2 days ago
- An incredible 44 ORIENTAL HONEY BUZZARDS over the garden this morning. #BirdingBeijing 5 days ago
- Przewalski's (Rusty-throated) Parrotbill wp.me/p1334i-FQ 5 days ago
Popular Topics (click to find relevant posts)Amur Falcon Asian House Martin Baer's Pochard Bai Qingquan Beijing Bohemian Waxwing Botanical Gardens Bull-headed Shrike Chinese Hill Warbler Choshi Common Kingfisher Dalian Dandong Dusky Thrush Eastern Marsh Harrier Greater Spotted Eagle Hebei Province Japan Japanese Waxwing Jennifer Leung Jesper Hornskov Laotieshan Liaoning Province Ma Chang Mongolian Lark Olympic Forest Park Oriental Plover Paul Holt Per Alström Peter Cawley Red-flanked Bluetail Ritan Park Saker Shi Jin Short-toed Eagle Siberian Crane Spike Millington Spoon-billed Sandpiper Tom Beeke Trip Report upland buzzard White-naped Crane Wild Duck Lake yeyahu Yeyahu NR